Tuesday, October 10, 2006

How Does That Myth Go?

I woke up this morning, what the weathermen called the perfect autumn day. However, as I walked outside I was confronted by an icy breeze that cut through to my very core. The Witch of Cornwall’s head rolled over to the door and scowled at me. “Shut the door, it’s such a cold day.” She rolled off, she’s been cranky ever since Bella brought her home, is that what happens after your body is disconnected? Well I shivered and moved to close the door when a bare bronze arm shot out and held the door open. “Wait a moment.” I followed the arm, it attached to a smoking figure clothed in autumn leaves. “Faux LeRoy, I have heard about you and ask for your assistance.” The being spoke. “Who are you?” I asked, completely weirded out by this point, this guy had no shirt on, wasn’t he freezing? Or did the smoke around his legs keep him warm? “I am the autumn king he boomed as he pushed into the house. I nodded quietly and closed the door. “How and WHAT did you hear about me?” He grew more serious in appearance. “Let me explain. This day it is frigid, for I am not at my tower commanding the weather as it should be commanded.” “You should return then.” I muttered. “Problem solved.”
taking the Empress of the spring away. I was informed of this and immediately went to intervene.” He paused and shook his“NOT QUITE.” He shouted. “For you see, this day the Winter King has finally succeeded in head. “I was too late; the Winter King had somehow grown strong enough to overtake her in her own tower. He hauled her out and took her to the underworld.” He paused once more. “The underworld is not even within our realm, we have no power there. It is an abysmal place that I have journeyed to on occasion in the past. But where was I? Ah yes, I followed them secretly and watched as he locked her up. He placed her in a cage and returned to his own tower. I tried to break the cage but I could not succeed. For you see he enchanted the cage in such a way. Only he could open it…or so I thought.” He stared at me and nodded. “You’re the one I heard about, sure enough. For you see, while in the underworld I ran into a person who had taken a journey on the 4th of July. He told me about a brave young man and the more I heard about you the more I figured you may be the one who can help me.” “But only the Winter King can open the cage?” I asked skeptically. “No no, the cage was made by the hands of a man and therefore, it can also be broken by the hands of a man. This is a rule, we of this realm and of the underworld can not alter the physical objects of man, but men can.” “So you want me to go to the Underworld?” He smiled for the first time. “Indeed.” He looked at me again. ‘You probably don’t know how to get there do you?” I smiled. “No I do I go on vacation there all the time, the beaches are a lot less crowed than Ocean City…” He furrowed his brow. “That didn’t make much sense to me, but I must away for now, the season waits for no one. This bird shall guide you there. Follow him and keep him by your side…” With that he vanished. In his place sat a dark bird covered in eyes. I write this now, not certain how long I will be away; I hope the house stays in one piece while I’m away...

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites