Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Please Hold...


So I was working the other day and all seemed to be going well, just an average shift. However, high noon came and went and the department manager went on break. She didn't return. As my day was winding down there I decided to peek into the break room, sure enough, she had called the major cable company Castcom about her service. They had put her on...HOLD! I waved farewell but the next day there she sat, she had been on the phone all night! Immediately I knew something was up so I took some time off to investigate. After quite a bit of footwork I managed to reach the main office building. Of course they would not let me in further than the front desk, fortunately I had my trusty grappling hook in the trunk of my car. I scaled the wall and stealthily and slid in through the first open window. It was there that I found myself face to face with something terrible! Before my very eyes were millions of phones, all with flashing lights, they were all holding people in the foul state of phone limbo that had overtaken my manager. I looked around, no one was here. So I acted impulsively and picked up a phone. “Hello?” I asked. “Hi.” The voice responded in a crackly voice, “I have not spoke for years, it is about time someone took me off of hold.” I held my breath. “How long have you been on hold sir?” “Since 1981.” If a jaw dropping could make a sound he would have heard it. “Well we appreciate your waiting sir but we can not answer your call at this time, please hang up and live your life.” “My life?” H stuttered, “Oh yes I remember now, my...life...” I smiled as I pushed he next button, call after call, person after person, all of them on hold. Slowly the lights on the phones stopped flashing as I told them all to live on. It was at that moment that a cold breeze gripped me and the doors to the phone room flew open. The CEO had come down, finding there were too many calls being answered he had to investigate. “What is this!” He shouted. “These people have been on call for ages sir.” I replied. He shook his head. “I know that! I have been draining their souls so that I may sustain my own life, mercy isn't that obvious?” I was taken aback, clearly I had never encountered someone who had specialized at stealing souls, unless you count that teacher from grade school... At once I could feel strength as he began to charge at me furiously. I knew I was no match and fled out the window. I reached my car out of breath as he jumped out behind me. The sidewalks cracked with the very force of his landing. I escaped in my car and returned to work the next day. I wish this tale had a happy ending but alas there is none. Mark my words though, this battle with the vile corporation Castcom has not ended!

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites