Sunday, July 16, 2006

Ice Cream Prevents Late Fees!

Summer is here and a few days ago it struck me as a perfect evening for some ice cream and relaxation. I quickly called my good friend, the Count de Sang and before anyone could even think of saying “I wonder what Theodore Geisel got his doctorate in” The Count had arrived and we were embarking on a ride to the ice cream shop. Of course the bikes were in bad shape, flat tires and slipping gears and chains, what were we to do? At once I decided to visit the neighbor, they had just moved in and rumors were flying about that they owned a pawn shop, perhaps they could help us? I approached the house and knocked on the door timidly, it swung open as my neighbor looked at me, remaining silent. “Hi, I was wondering if we could borrow some bikes from you guys so that we could head down to the ice cream shop.” My neighbor stared ominously and suddenly erupted in a fit of laughter that echoed all the way down to the far neighbors. “Bikes!” He roared, “BIKES! Listen here neighbor, don't you dare think that I would even own bikes, I run a pawn shop my friend and through a pawn shop often comes many magical and wonderful things, things that far surpass your garden-variety everyday bicycle.” He waved us in and led us down to his basement. In the back corner was something covered by a dusty white blanket. With a flick of his wrist the blanket went sailing away. Beneath the blanket sat two contraptions made of steel tubing. They looked almost like normal bikes, only on the back of each was a very large peace lily. “When you pedal it powers the plant, and when you power the plant it's leaves become like wings, carrying you off to far away places.” The Count and I agreed, these would do just fine. We soared through the air to the campground and as we landed there I found myself in yet another strange encounter. The Count and I had purchased our ice cream and headed back outside to relax when my dear friend paused. “What is the matter I asked?” Before us stood the one and only G. George Fatts the third. Immediately I asked for my library book back, the one he had swiped from Naples pizza. “It's in my car but you won't get it.” He grinned. “I love late fees, especially when they are not mine.” I began to speak but the Count silenced me. “You sir, are you related to Bob the Jailor perchance?” G. George continued to grin. “Certainly, you know him or something?” “He one of my many adversaries...” Fatts frowned. “Are you the Count de Sang that has given him much trouble? The one he has successfully evaded for four years now?” The Count nodded as G. George continued. “You are the one!” He laughed loudly at the thought. The Count took none of it, quickly casting his hand out, above it his ice cream cone floated, much like a dart. With the flick of his wrist it went sailing into the face of George. “Tell him I shall find him...” George went down as the cone hit him in the right eye. “And return my friend's book.” The large man agreed as he pressed the button on his key chain. The lights flashed as the door unlocked, I retrieved the book and held it close, no late fee for Faux LeRoy!

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites